Sunday, February 8, 2015

Chicken Egg Rolls

I am a huge fan of egg rolls!  Whenever we get Chinese food, I have to have at least two because, let's face it, one is not enough! 

I finally decided that I would try my hand at making my own.  I'm so happy I did!  Though I was a bit nervous about the egg roll wrappers and not being able to correctly fill and roll them without them falling apart, my worries were unfounded.  They turned out perfectly! 

This recipe makes 10-12 egg rolls (I got 10 out of mine) and they are GONE!  Yes, I ate the majority and I don't even feel badly about it.  If you love egg rolls, try this out soon!

Ingredients:

- 12 Egg Roll Wrappers
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded well
- 1 tablespoon dried Ginger (to season chicken)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Salt (to season chicken)
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Garlic
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
- 1 (16oz) bag of Coleslaw mix (you will NOT be using the whole bag!)
- 4 Green onions, chopped
- Small dish of water for sealing

Directions:

1.  Begin by seasoning your chicken with the dried ginger and garlic salt.  Cook, cool, and shred for when you're ready to use it in your egg roll mixture.  I did this early in the day and then pulled it out when I was ready for it.

2.  In a large bowl, toss in your veggies. (I used all of the coleslaw mix EXCEPT for about 1/3 of the bag)

3.  Now add your sauces and your chicken and mix well until all is coated.  Taste for seasoning.  I added a dash of black pepper here, but you don't have to.

4.  Heat your deep fryer (or skillet with oil) to 350 degrees.  Begin assembling your egg rolls.  Place your egg roll diagonally on a clean surface and place about 3 tablespoons of filling into the middle of you wrap.  Fold over and fold in the edges.  Seal with damp fingertips then roll.  Seal the final edge with damp fingertips and lay edge side down until ready to cook.  *it's helpful to watch a tutorial if my ramblings did not make sense! ;-) *


5.  Place your egg rolls ( I did two at a time) into your oil and allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes, turning to brown both sides.  Remove and allow to drain on some paper towel.

Here's the final product....


You can serve with with sweet and sour sauce (my favorite) or with some extra soy or Sriracha sauce(my husband's favorite)  They're even perfect as is.  I hope you give these a try and love them as much as we did!  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment